The development and application of policies and initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions is continuously promoted. This also involves the ordinary citizen, because we all generate, directly or indirectly, a carbon footprint, the measure to know the impact on the planet in our daily basis. Here’s how to reduce your carbon footprint.
My carbon footprint
The carbon footprint calculates the units of carbon dioxide that are released into the atmosphere with our everyday activities. According to The Nature Conservancy, each inhabitant of the planet generates an average of almost four tons of CO2 per year. In Spain, it is estimated that each home emits an average of 12.5 tons of greenhouse gases per year, emissions that contribute to climate change. If the temperature continues to rise and reaches the dreaded 2 ° C threshold, the change will be irreversible.
Varying our routines and behaviors can reduce to less than two tons per year by 2050, a necessary threshold that the NGO estimates.
How to reduce my carbon footprint. 12 ways
There are many actions you can take to reduce your environmental impact. You can start with these 12 ways to reduce your carbon footprint:
- Become aware of the consequences that each act you do can have. That will make a difference.
- Consume responsibly, assessing the need for each purchase and if there are alternative solutions.
- When you go to the supermarket, use cloth or paper bags or a shopping cart. If you have to use plastic, reuse them and recycle them when you can no longer use them.
- If possible, consume local and seasonal products.
- FAO indicates that responsible management and consumption would save us more than 1.7 billion tons of CO2 equivalent. Limit your consumption of products derived from bovine livestock (meat, dairy …), responsible for 10% of greenhouse effect emissions. We´re not talking about imposing veganism either. The agricultural sector is responsible for 25% of emissions.
- Organize and clean the fridge as ice in the freezer or bags accumulated and packages increases energy consumption.
- Save energy with sustainable lighting and unplug the appliances you don’t use and don’t leave the chargers plugged in, they are “energy vampires”. You will save on your bill, in addition to reducing emissions.
- Your town always has a collection and recycling circuit for glass, cardboard / paper, plastics, batteries, medicines … so recycle.
- Almost any product can be repaired and reused: clothing, appliances, furniture … Keep this in mind before buying a new one.
- Rationalize your water consumption and repair any leaks. A leaking tap means 50 liters of water wasted a week.
- Use your bicycle for short trips.
- Keep the car up to date on reviews and drive consciously: accelerate smoothly and always maintain a constant speed.
Reduce my carbon footprint with Avikor
Also, if you are going to travel by plane, remember that Avikor provides you with the option to choose biofuels to reduce the carbon footprint of your flight.